Pages

Jul 22, 2012

First Grave of the Right by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right

Written by Darynda Jones


Reading Source: Library
Series: Charley Davidson
Book #: 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Amazon Book Discription:
Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s  been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.This is a thrilling debut novel from an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense.
My Review:

I loved this book. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I am forced to preface my review with an outside fact: I am addicted to Stephanie Plum books. That being said - First Grave on the Right is like Stephanie Plum with paranormal activity and then some.

Charley is special. So special that she remembers the day she was born. Well she is the Grim Reaper, what can you really expect. Her ability to see the departed has led her to live a life of crime solving - that's why she's a Private Eye. Along with the help of her Uncle Bob, a detective, and a league of merry ghosts and side characters, Charley sets out to solve a murder chase involving 3 lawyers who were all killed the same night. Mix in the sultry dreams Charley has of a mysterious shadow showing her what the night is really for, and you've got one snarky, paranormal, mystery, urban fantasy book you won't want to put down.

I loved it. There is not much more I can say. The only thing that kept it from a 5 star review - I wasn't always feeling the humor. Don't get me wrong. This was a great book that made me laugh out loud more than once, I just believe that there is a time and a place for snarky humor. Other than that, it was wonderful. Similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, yet so unique. I'll be reading the entire series as if it were my job.



No comments:

Post a Comment