Me and my guy are vegetarians.... so these are an all time favorite in my house!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Idle Wait Time: 1-4 hours
Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- 2 Hamburger Bun Sized Portobello Caps
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2-4 Tablespoons Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce (without anchovies)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 1 Teaspoon Basil (dried)
- Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola Cheese (amount to taste - can be subbed with other cheese)
- Preheat oven to broil on high.
- Clean Portobello Caps, remove gills (if desired) and stems. Make several punctures with a fork on the topside of the cap.
- While the oven is preheating, combine Worcestershire Sauce, Olive Oil, minced Garlic, Oregano, and Basil in a large enough dish for both Portobello Caps to lay flat.
- Put cleaned Portobello Caps in Worcestershire mixture and spoon mixture over both caps. Allow the caps to marinate top side down in mixture for a minimum of 1 hour. Keep the mixture that is left over once they are done marinating.
- Broil Portobello Caps top side down for 5 mins.
- Flip Caps and broil for another 5 mins.
- Flip Caps once more and fill "stem side" of Caps with cheese (use as much cheese as you would like!) - broil on LOW until cheese is melty to your liking.
- Dress your burger how ever you would like. I recommend tomato, lettuce and onion.
Keep and eye on the caps while they are in the oven. Make sure they don't dry out. If you notice them drying out, use the reserved marinating mixture to moisten the caps.