Pages

Mar 2, 2014

Dark Surrender by Erica Ridley

Dark Surrender

Written by Erica Ridley


Reading Source: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance
Rating: 



I haven't read a historical romance novel in a long time. I got into them a while back and burned myself out by reading them all the time. When I moved on to a different genre, it was because I thought I had read them all - you know... Lord of the Manor is forced into marriage to some dotty backwoods lass - only she is not as dotty as she seems and she ends up causing some epic battle between the Lord and some other dude because she was a twit and brought about a war, etc. Well this is not that story. It is far from that story, and I can't express how happy I was to find that out.

First off - let me preface this by saying this book brought me to tears on more than one occasion. Any book that can evoke emotion in me, be it a big goofy grin, silent tears or body wracking sobs - immediately gets 3.5 stars (see my rating system - that's a good review from me - that's like a B+) Kudos to any author that successfully put me so deep into the story that the emotions of the characters are happening to me.

Violet Whitechapel grew up tough, after finding a place that she could do some good in the world - the safety she felt was unceremoniously ripped right out from under her. She did what she had to in order to prevent a child from being sexually abused by an arrogant rich benefactor. Seeing no other choice, Violet fled. At the end of her coin and her physical ability, she ends up at a dilapidated abbey.

Alistar Waldegrave has lived in the dark for the past nine years. He's had no choice - he will do whatever it takes to protect his daughter. Lillian, Alistar's daughter, has a sensitivity to the sun that is so severe her skin begins to blister almost immediately upon contact. Alistar has spent years searching for a cure and out of fear he has locked Lillian up in the boarded up abbey.

Alistar offered Violet a chance she shouldn't pass up - a chance to be his daughter's governess and sanctuary. Neither expected to find a new light and hope in the romance that sparked between them.

This was a touching story that I really enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment